THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, READ OUR POLICY PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
I use essential oils in so many ways, but diffusing them will always be one of my favorites. Aromatherapy is powerful! Human beings are designed to react to scent. Scents are picked up by receptors which are linked to our limbic system by the olfactory nerve. The limbic system is a key player in the function of memory, emotion, motivation, and behavior. Diffusing essential oils can energize, calm, motivate, cheer...this list could go on and on. In addition, certain essential oils, when diffused, can help purify the air.
I also love to diffuse because it benefits my whole family all at once. That's a lot of bang for my essential oil buck! Things seem a little crazy at home? Add a calming oil like Lavender, Clary Sage, or Bergamot to the diffuser. Everyone feeling a little blah and in need of some energy? Try Lime, Wild Orange, or Spearmint. And when you blend multiple oils, the possibilities are nearly endless!
Selecting a Diffuser
The shear volume of diffusers on the market can be overwhelming. Here are a few factors to consider when make a purchase.
- Type - You have quite a few options when it come to choosing the type diffuser to use with your essential oils.
- Ultrasonic Diffusers are your overall best choice. You simply add water and a few drops of essential oil to the reservoir and turn it on. This kind of diffuser uses motion to create a fine mist that will permeate the surrounding air. They come in all shapes and sizes. You can even find some that plug into vehicle power outlets so you can diffuse while you are on the road. doTerra has three that fit this category- the AromaLite, the Petal and the Lotus. All are great and come with a 1 year warranty. I also have a collection of diffusers in different styles and prices here.
- Nebulizer Diffusers like the doTERRA Aroma Ace and the doTerra Cloud do not use water, are very powerful, and emit a strong scent. They are also more expensive than ultrasonic diffusers and may be used more often for therapeutic use instead of personal use. Compare all doTerra diffusers HERE.
- Diffuser Reeds are a good option if you want to go low tech and have a small space like a bathroom, cubicle, or reading nook. You simply place the reeds in a container with a small opening filled with a carrier oil and the essential oils of your choice. The oils will travel up the reeds and disperse into the air when they reach the top.
- Diffuser Jewelry is a simple and unobtrusive way to keep the benefits of aromatherapy with you all day. Just place a drop or two of oil on the diffuser element of the piece and you are set for hours or even days. Check out our blog post about diffuser jewelry.
- Heat Diffusers...just say NO. You should avoid diffusers that use heat which can break down your oils and destroy their beneficial properties.
- Coverage - Before purchasing a diffuser for a particular area, measure the square footage and make sure your diffuser will cover the area.
- Design - There are tons of designs available so that you can find a diffuser that will fit in with your existing decor. You can go for a natural wood look, a sleek modern vibe, or anything in between. But aesthetics are not the only consideration when choosing the design. Do you have children or animals? Even if you keep the diffuser out of reach, you may want to stick with a model with a stable and sturdy design to help avoid accidental spills.
- Ease of Use - Make sure it is easy to access the reservoir to fill and clean the diffuser.
- Lighting - Many diffusers also have a lighting feature. If this is an important feature for you, make sure you look for it when deciding a on diffuser. Some may have a simple nightlight while others have the ability to select and cycle through multiple light colors.
- Settings - Diffusers often have multiple diffusing settings. You may be able to choose from continuous and intermittent modes. The intermittent feature gives you the ability to make your oils last longer.
- Timers - Timers can come in handy by enabling you to have the diffuser automatically turn off after a set number of hours. These are perfect for bedtime diffusing. And, if you like to diffuse an energizing blend in the mornings, a timer is a great feature because we all know remembering to turn off the diffuser can be easily overlooked in the rush to get out the door.
- Auto Shut Off - Check to see if your diffuser will automatically shut off when the water has been used up. It is a nice feature to have.
Of course an article about diffusers would not be complete without links to some of our custom I Heart Oils diffuser blends. Enjoy!
- Victorious - Encourages forgiveness and a fresh start.
- Summer Day- Air purifying and boots enthusiasm.
- Fresh Forest - Uplifts and boosts mood.
- Beautiful Creation - Gets your creative juices flowing.
- Fresh Zest - Supports healthy immunity and a peaceful, content mood.
- In Love With Autumn Blends - Bring the amazing smells of fall inside.
What are your favorite oils to diffuse?