THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, READ OUR POLICY PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
We all know that scents can trigger certain memories. That's why people say things like "smells like Christmas". Get a whiff of ginger, citrus, or pine, and we can easily be taken back to the Christmases of our childhoods. Scents can also affect our emotions and mood.* There have been many studies that show this relationship. Another area of scientific study indicates that certain aromas have been linked to enhanced cognitive functions such as memory, mental clarity, and alertness.*
The connection between scent and how we feel and think is a function how our sense of smell interacts with our brains. Simply stated, there are smell receptors in the upper part of our nasal passages that detect scents and send impulses to the brain via the olfactory nerve. These impulses provide information to the limbic system which helps regulate mood, memory, behavior and emotion. In addition, because of the limbic system is closely linked to the hypothalamus and therefore indirectly to the pituitary gland, aroma may also impact blood pressure, hunger, thyroid function, sleep cycles, and hormones.*
All of this is super interesting (especially if you start getting into the theories about how this aroma/brain connection was critical to survival for early humans), but let's talk about some specifics.
First, how do you use essential oils aromatically?
- An ultrasonic, cold water diffuser is ideal. It enables the essential oil constituents to interact directly with your olfactory receptors.
- If you are unable to use a diffuser, simply rub a couple of drops of essential oil into your palms and cup them over your nose. This method is beneficial because it can be done anytime, anywhere.
Second, which essential oils should you try?
- Calm: Bergamot, Serenity Restful Blend, Vetiver, Steady Grounding Blend, Lavender, Roman Chamomile
- Energy: Peppermint, Lemon, Wild Orange, Lime, Elevation Joyful Blend, Citrus Bliss Invigorating Blend, Spearmint
- Focus & Memory: Douglas Fir, Basil, Eucalyptus, InTune Focus Blend, Thinker Focus Blend
- Mood Uplift: Jasmine Touch, Neroli Touch, Tangerine, Bergamot, Lemon, Elevation Joyful Blend, Cheer Uplifting Blend, Sandalwood (Hawaiian or Indian)
For more suggestions, read Quick & Easy Mood Makeover.
Click the button below purchase essential oils for aromatherapy.
*THESE STATEMENTS HAVE NOT BEEN EVALUATED BY THE FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION. THIS PRODUCT IS NOT INTENDED TO DIAGNOSE, TREAT, CURE, OR PREVENT ANY DISEASE.