Summer Stay-cation Ideas
Let's face it, leaving town for an adventure isn't always an option. Time, money, work, family, and health constraints can all put a damper on getting way from it all. But you don't have to leave town to have an adventure. Plan a "stay-cation". You can have the adventure of a lifetime in your own neighborhood!
- Pack a lunch and find a local hike or nature walk.
- Plan a biking adventure around town or in the country.
- Do an early morning hike or walk to a watch the sunrise.
- Try a 5 Senses Challenge in your own town.
- Create a photo scavenger hunt in your local area for your family or friends.
- Once a week, visit a different local attraction - water park, museum, nature preserve, etc. Watch local discount sites like Groupon for discounts on many of these places. You may also find out about things to do in your area that you didn't even know existed.
- Participate in local adventure challenge. Check out websites like Urban Adventure Quest. You will be guided around your city by an app that will require you to complete challenges along the way. So fun! Again, sites like Groupon often have discounts for these types of adventures.
- Have a reading adventure - start with a walk or bike ride to the library to check out books. Then head to a park or even your own yard and spend the day reading outside. Take breaks for a picnic and some playtime.
- Explore a new park each week - look for parks with fun features like splash pads, zip lines, etc.
- Find a historic neighbor and enjoy the architecture.
- Go geocaching.
- Find a community stargazing party to attend.
- Go birdwatching. Find out if your area has a local "birders" group and find out if you can tag along or just where the best spots are.
- Become a producer, director, and actor and film a movie with your friends or family.
- Set up an outdoor theater for movies under the stars.
- Campout in your own backyard.
- Build a natural looking fire pit - dig a hole and line it with rocks - for s'mores anytime.
- Visit a farmer's market.
- Find a local farm that lets you pick your own produce.
- Visit a local National Park or State Park. Watch for National Park Service free days - there are usually a few each year.
- Enjoy a beach day. No coast near by - try a lake, reservoir, or even river.
- Take a class to learn a new activity - rock climbing, canoeing, rappelling, paddle boarding, kayaking, backpacking, etc.
We are always looking for more stay-cation ideas. Leave us a comment and let us know yours.