THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, READ OUR POLICY PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
Summer can be brutal on hair. Heat and humidity are often enough to bring on bad hair days, but throw in beach and pool water and I am definitely in need of a hair rescue. If you are in the same boat (or pool floaty), incorporate some or all of these hair care tips into your routine. Then get out there and enjoy those rays!
- Comb From the Bottom Up - When combing your hair, gently start at the ends of your hair and work your way to the roots to prevent hair breakage. If your hair is wet, towel dry first, then apply a leave-in conditioner before combing.
- Treat Your Scalp - A scalp massage increases circulation and can help with fatigue and stress. Gently massage a few drops of fractionated coconut oil into your scalp. Enhance the experience by adding a few drops of Peppermint, Lavender, or Melaleuca. dōTERRA's Root to Tip serum is a great choice for a healthy scalp.
- Do an Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse - An apple cider vinegar rinse helps get rid of extra build-up on the hair and scalp without stripping natural oils. When used regularly in your natural hair routine, apple cider vinegar can also restore and balance the natural pH level of your hair, making it soft, shiny, and easy to work with.
- Blow Dry with Low Heat - Use the low heat option on your dryer to minimize damage and keep the hair dryer at least 8 inches away from your hair. Additionally, try using a heat-protector spray or leave-in conditioner to minimize any damage. When possible, let your hair dry naturally.
- Rinse With Cold Water - Warm water opens a hair's cuticle and cool water helps to close the cuticle and seal moisture in helping your hair to look shiny and healthy. At the end of your shower, give your hair a quick, cool rinse. Not only will it benefit your hair and skin, it will also make you feel refreshed and more awake.
- Skip a Wash - Washing hair every day removes the natural oils and proteins, causing your hair to dry out quicker. Those natural hair oils will actually make your hair healthier and shinier than most products. Dry shampoos are a good option for spot treating on those in-between days. When you do wash your hair, make sure to use gentle products like the doTERRA Salon Essentials Hair Care Line.
- Get a Trim - A slight trim every six to eight weeks keeps ends from splitting, and helps your hair remain healthy and strong.
- Apply a Hair Mask - Hot summer temperatures can leave your hair feeling dry. Once a week hair mask application can bring life to your hair, add shine, and help with manageability. Try this DIY Geranium Hair Mask.
- East Well and Stress Less - A healthy diet with the right mix of protein, iron, essential fatty acids, and other nutrients can help improve the health, look, and feel of your hair. If you need to fill in some nutritional gaps, check out doTERRA Supplements. Stress can also have a negative effect on your skin and hair. When things get hectic, remember to slow down, take a deep breathe, and de-stress.
How do you keep your hair healthy in the summer?