THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, READ OUR POLICY PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
I love to get outside in the fall and enjoy the incredible beauty of the season. And like spring, fall offers that sweet spot between brutal heat and frigid cold so its the perfect time for outdoor fitness. Here are a few ideas for staying active while enjoying all that fall has to offer.
- Before heading outside to exercise, warm your muscles. Use a mixture of Rosemary, Lavender, & Eucalyptus applied topically. Use a carrier oil, like fractionated coconut oil, if you need to dilute for skin sensitivity.
- Take a long walk or run and enjoy the vibrant colors of changing leaves. Pumpkin patches, orchards, farmer's markets, and even neighborhoods that go all out on Halloween decorations make for fun fall routes.
- Get the yard cleaned up by raking leaves. Yes, it can be a chore, but it burns calories just the same. And don't be afraid to take a few minutes to jump in your pile of leaves and throw armfuls in the air. You'll have to rake a little more, but those are joys of the season that should not be missed!
- Go for a hike in the mountains or other wilderness area. If you can get away from the city, do it! Those long walks I mentioned above are still an excellent option, but there is just something about being completely immersed in nature that can't be beat.
- Sign up for a run or walk. At least in my area, there are quite a few local fitness events this time of year. There are usually different lengths and endurance levels (fun run, 3k, 5k, 1/2 marathon, marathon, etc.) so there is something for everyone.
- Organize a neighborhood or family flag football game. This is such a great way to combine fitness and fun!
- Hit the road on your bike. Especially if you live in a place with a harsh winter, this is an excellent chance to enjoy some road time before you have to deal with slush, snow, and icy roads.
- Finish up your gardening for the year. Pick your fruits and veggies that come in during fall and winterize your garden. You can also plant some bulbs to enjoy in the spring.
- Make sure you are outfitted appropriately for the season. Take along a light pair of gloves and a warm hat in case it gets chilly. Dress in layers. Extreme temperature swings are common in the fall and you'll want to be prepared.
Now get out there and enjoy this fabulous season!