THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, READ OUR POLICY PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
We all have a pretty good handle on the first and final steps of digestion - food goes in, waste comes out. But, what happens between Point A and Point B of the digestive tract is a mystery to many of us. Let's just say that in the approximately 30 feet (yes, 30!) that make up the digestive tract, a lot goes on. A healthy digestive tract, or gut, works with other parts of the digestive system to break down the foods and liquids we consume into molecules that can be absorbed into the bloodstream. These molecules are carried all over your body to provide nutrients and energy that fuel important work like cell growth and repair.
A healthy gut can impact your overall wellness. While there are factors like genetics that you cannot control, below are a few simple things you can do to influence the health of your digestive tract.
- Increase the amount of fiber in your diet. (This should be done gradually to avoid excessive gas and bloating.)
- Increase the fruits and vegetables in your diet. Eat them with every meal and as snacks.
- Choose whole grains like brown rice and steel cut oats.
- Reduce or eliminate the processed food in your diet. Eat whole foods as much as possible.
- Cut out substances like caffeine, alcohol, and refined sugars that can irritate the digestive tract.
- Reduce stress as much as possible and find healthy ways to deal with unavoidable stress. Just having someone that will listen and help you talk through stress can have a positive impact.
- Stick to a general eating routine. As much as possible, each at the same time each day.
- Make regular exercise and good sleep priorities.
Promoting Gut Health Through Essential Oils & Supplements
You can also support a healthy gut by adding restorative substances like healthy fats, probiotics, and amino acids to your diet. It is tricky to do so with food intake alone, so supplements can be used to get the quantities you need.* The doTERRA products listed below can help you get the nutrients you need to support gut health.
- Lifelong Vitality Pack - Supplements your intake of omegas, antioxidants, and vitamins and minerals.*
- DigestZen TerraZyme - A blend of active whole-food digestive enzymes that help digest proteins, fats, complex carbohydrates, sugars, and fiber. Take with meals to support digestion and metabolism of enzyme-deficient, processed foods.*
- PB Assist®+ Probiotic Defense Formula - Take three times daily with food for 10 days to promote colonization of friendly digestive flora.*
- Lemon Essential Oil - Drink 4oz of water with 1 drop of Lemon each morning and evening to help your body cleanse itself of toxins.* (Use Tangerine Essential Oil as an alternative.)
- DigestZen Softgels - Contains a blend of essential oils to aid in the digestion of food, soothe occasional stomach upset, and reduce uncomfortable gas and bloating.* Keep them on hand for a healthy, natural, and gentle way to maintain a healthy digestive system.* (Use DigestTab Chewable Tablets as an alternative.)
In addition to the products listed above, the following essential oils and products support healthy digestion and may ease symptoms of occasional gut upset.*
- DigestZen Digestive Blend
- Ginger Disgestive Drops
- Peppermint Beadlets
*THESE STATEMENTS HAVE NOT BEEN EVALUATED BY THE FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION. THIS PRODUCT IS NOT INTENDED TO DIAGNOSE, TREAT, CURE, OR PREVENT ANY DISEASE.