THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, READ OUR POLICY PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
I am a fair skinned redhead so I'm pretty good about wearing sunscreen everyday. It's kind of a survival thing for me. However, if I am going to get a sunburn it is usually in late April or early May and not on a long, mid-summer, pool day. Why? Because those first few sunny and warm days tend to sneak up on me. I put on sunscreen as part of my morning routine, but I might end up outside on a particularly warm afternoon that started as a cool spring morning and forget to reapply. Just like the proverbial frog in the pot of water that gradually comes to a boil, I don't realize the danger until it's too late. In attempt to get a jump on my summer skincare game, I'm sharing a few tips and tricks for keeping your skin protected and at its best.
- Avoid too much sun exposure. A little sun is beneficial, around 20 minutes is enough to get the vitamin D you need. After this limit though, be sure to take precautions against the sun. (Remember, UV rays shine through even on cloudy days.)
- Keep up with a healthy diet. A diet rich in antioxidants, including foods such as leafy green vegetables, blueberries, cantaloupe, and other melons will help stimulate collagen growth—important to maintaining skin elasticity. Egg whites and salmon are also excellent sources of protein, which helps nourish skin and repair damage. And don't forget to drink plenty of water.
- Don’t forget the lips. Your most delicate skin is on your lips. To avoid sun damage, use a lip balm instead of high shine gloss.
- Wear a hat. Go outside in style. Wearing a hat protects the most sensitive skin on your face, preventing early aging. Hats with wider brims are preferable as baseball caps leave your ears exposed.
- Exfoliate regularly. Exfoliate twice a week with good scrub to help maintain a smooth texture on the skin surface and create a youthful glow from within.
- Get into the habit of moisturizing. Regular moisturizing shields your skin from potential dryness and sun distress. Keeping your skin moisturized also keeps your complexion hydrated and prevents your skin from looking dull.
- Simplify your makeup. During the summer, less is definitely more. Stick to mascara, lip balm, concealer, and a bronzing blush to highlight the naturally beautiful qualities of your skin.
- Rub 2–4 drops of Peppermint into your scalp to experience an instant cooling sensation.
- Add a couple drops of Lavender to a fragrance free lotion. Apply on the body after spending time in the sun. You can add 1–2 drops of Peppermint to the lotion to cool off during a hot day.
- To soothe your skin after a long day in the sun, apply doTERRA's DIY After Sun Soothing Spray.