THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, READ OUR POLICY PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
Make these ten healthy all natural swaps to add a whole new level of health and wellness to your home this new year!
Healthy Swap #1: Laundry Detergent
Conventional laundry detergent is loaded with chemicals like sulfates, fragrances, and phenols. Why not make your own natural laundry detergent? This simple DIY yields a natural and effective detergent.
(RECIPE FROM doTERRA.)Ingredients
2 cups washing soda
2 cups borax
1 bar grated castile soap
25 drops favorite essential oil single or blend (Purify Essential Oil Blend is recommended)
- Mix washing soda, borax, and grated castile soap together.
- Add essential oil, mixing to combine.
- Use ¼ cup per load. Store in an airtight container.
Healthy Swap #2: Supplements
While there is no complete replacement for a healthy diet and exercise program, today's modern diet does not provide the nutrients we need to not only stay healthy, but also have energy and prevent premature aging. Enter the doTERRA Lifelong Vitality Pack®, doTERRA a2z Chewable™, and IQ Mega®. These are all supplements meant to be used on a daily basis in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle. This is not to say that other supplements cannot be used on a regular basis, but these specific supplements are meant for anyone to use on a daily basis.
Healthy Swap #3: Dryer Sheets
Fabric softeners come in all different shapes and sizes, and have scents that range anywhere from “Tropical Breeze” to “Lavender.” Did you know that most lavender-scented fabric softeners actually contains no lavender—only chemicals that have been blended to give you an impression that you are smelling the real deal? Substituting these chemically-driven fabric softeners for an all-natural, toxic-free alternative is much easier and more affordable than you might think. Follow this step-by-step tutorial to make your own wool dryer balls that can last for many years and can easily be scented with doTERRA essential oils leaving your fabrics fragrant and soft.
(RECIPE FROM doTERRA.)
What You Need:
- 100 percent wool yarn or other 100 percent animal yarn
Upcycling Idea: Reuse pantyhose with runs in them
- Take the end of the yarn and wrap it around your middle and index finger 10 times. Remove it from the fingers and wrap 2–3 times around the middle (it should look like a bow). This will be the start of your ball.
- Continue tightly wrapping the yarn around the start, working toward making a round shape. Once your ball is roughly the size of a tennis ball, cut the yarn and tuck the ends into the sides of the ball. Repeat this process until you have created four or more balls of yarn.
- Cut one leg off of the pantyhose. Place one ball into the bottom of the leg and tie a knot right above the ball to secure it in place. Repeat until all the balls have been added and secured.
- Once the balls are tightly secured in the pantyhose, put them in the washer (can be with a load of dirty laundry) and wash on the hottest setting. This will allow the yarn to felt. Felting will make the yarn fuse together, resulting in a solid ball. Once washed, dry the balls thoroughly in the dryer at the highest heat setting.
- After the balls are completely dry, remove them from the pantyhose and they’re ready for use! Before drying your next load of laundry, add your favorite doTERRA essential oil to 4–6 dryer balls, toss them in the dryer, and enjoy the soft, fluffy, wonderful-smelling fruits of your labor.
- 2–3 drops of essential oil per ball should last a few loads. Add more drops if you would like a stronger scent.
Fun Laundry Tips:
- Crumple up aluminum foil into a ball and toss it in the dryer with the wet laundry to get rid of static cling.
- For an even extra burst of essential oils in your clothing, place a wash cloth with a few drops of essential oil into your dryer. It will come out smelling beautiful!
- Add a few drops of Lemon essential oil to your wash cycle to help remove grease and oil from fabrics. For more handy ideas, recipes, and tips, check the doTERRA blog.
Healthy Swap #4: Water Flavoring
Staying properly hydrated is essential for overall good health and well being, and sometimes you just crave that extra boost of flavor. Instead of adding sugar or artificial flavors or colors to your daily water routine this new year, why not add a few drops of all natural, pure essential oils.
Check out this blog post discussing the Benefits of Adequate Water Intake for more ideas about all natural hydration.
Healthy Swap #5: Toothpaste
Oral hygiene is essential for overall whole body health and wellness. Make sure your oral health includes these All Natural Oral Hygiene Swaps.
Healthy Swap #6: Hand Soap
(RECIPE FROM doTERRA.)
- Pour castile soap and Fractionated Coconut Oil into bottle.
- Add essential oils.
- Slowly add water into bottle, making sure to leave room for the foaming pump.
- Add lid, shake, and you are good to go!
- When ready to use, just pump one to two times into hands and wash with warm water.
Healthy Swap #7: Scented Candles
According to IQ Air, "most mass-produced scented candles can have a negative impact on Indoor Air Quality (IAQ). From the wax to the wick to the fragrance itself, the average scented candle can release harmful chemicals into the air — even when unlit. So while you and your family enjoy the fragrance of scented candles in your home, they may be damaging your health."
Healthy Swap #8: Perfume
Why buy expensive artificially produced scents when you can wear the beautiful fragrance that mother nature intended? Check out this Roller Bottle Blend Post for some of our all time favorite blends, and then start getting creative and mixing your own!
Healthy Swap #9: All Purpose Cleaner
Aside from its many benefits for the body, Lemon oil is also a very powerful cleansing agent. With this mixture, you can shine stainless steel, remove grime from microwaves, freshen up your garbage disposal, and even deep clean appliances like your washing machine and refrigerator.
(RECIPE FROM doTERRA.)
5–10 drops Lemon oil
1 cup water
1 cup vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a glass container and mix well.
- Spray on the surface you wish to clean and wipe off with a clean cloth.
Tips: Use this mixture with a toothbrush, microfiber cloth, or other cleaning tool to dust, shine surfaces, and remove dirt and grime around the home. This mixture can be combined in a spray bottle and kept in your kitchen or bathroom for easy access when daily spills and messes occur. Shake well before each use.
Healthy Swap #10: Deodorant
Most store bought deodorants can contain aluminum, parabens, phthalates, and talc. Start off the new year with all natural deodorant made with your favorite 100% pure therapeutic grade essential oils, and be at ease knowing that this deodorant really works! Try Citrus Bliss, Douglas Fir & Greek Orange, or Balance.
Click the button below to take advantage of these offers.
*THESE STATEMENTS HAVE NOT BEEN EVALUATED BY THE FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION. THIS PRODUCT IS NOT INTENDED TO DIAGNOSE, TREAT, CURE, OR PREVENT ANY DISEASE.