THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, READ OUR POLICY PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
If you are looking for some natural remedies to help you through pregnancy and life with your newborn, essential oils can be a great resource for you. I wish I would have had these when I was having my babies!
For most women the use of essential oils during and after pregnancy is safe and appropriate. However, it is important that you always consult your doctor before beginning the use of any essential oils during pregnancy and the postpartum period. You should inform your doctor even if essential oil use has been a regular part of your life that you plan to continue during these times. Also, keep in mind that it is not uncommon for a woman's sensitivity to essential oils to change while she is pregnant. You should keep an eye out for this and adjust your usage as necessary.
Common Concerns & Essential Oil Suggestions*
Since I'm no longer in this phase of life, I've researched the topic for friends, family, and my readers. Below are few tips that I've found.
- Morning Sickness: Try diffusing Ginger, Grapefruit, or Peppermint next to your bed, the scent may help reduce nausea. You can also try DigestZen Digestive Blend to help with morning sickness. Experiment with diffusion, abdominal massage, or internal use to see what works best for you. Again, remember to check with your doctor especially before internal use.
- Better Sleep: Try Serenity Restful Blend, Lavender, or Cedarwood. Apply the oils to your body and then relax in a warm bath. Or, apply a drop of oil to a tissue and place it in your pillow case.
- Occasional Lower Back or Leg Discomfort : AromaTouch Massage Blend and Deep Blue Soothing Blend are great options. Mix with a carrier oil and apply to the desired location. Soak in a warm bath after application.
- Increased Energy: Citrus Bliss Invigorating Blend or any of the citrus oils (Bergamot, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime, Tangerine, Wild Orange) can be beneficial when dealing with fatigue. Diffuse or add a drop or two to your hands, cup them around your mouth and nose and inhale. You can also add it to a carrier oil and massage it on the back of your neck, spine, etc.
- Stretching Skin Soother: Try Immortelle Anti-aging Blend. Add it to fractionated coconut oil or doTerra's lotion to make it last longer and easier to apply.
- Stressful Feelings & Emotional Balancing : Balance Grounding Blend and Cheer Uplifting Blend or any of the oils in the Emotional Aromatherapy kit would be great to use daily and as often as needed to feel grounded and positive.
- Labor Energy/Mood: Diffuse Peace Reassuring Blend or Cheer Uplifting Blend into the air to improve the peacefulness and happiness in the room.
- More Momma's Milk: Massage breasts, lymph area above breasts, and upper back along the spine with 5-7 drops of Fennel, Basil, Clary Sage, or Geranium in 1 tablespoon of carrier oil. Wash before nursing.
- Less Momma's Milk: Mix 3-4 drops Peppermint with cold water, soak a washcloth and apply it as a compress to breasts. Wash before nursing.
- Umbilical Cord: Myrrh is known for its cleansing effects and for promoting healthy skin. Apply a drop to the umbilical cord area daily after birth.
- Calming Baby: Apply Balance Grounding Blend to the bottoms of your baby's feet. Frankincense also can promote feelings of relaxation and a balanced mood.
- Baby Sleep Support: Rub Serenity Restful Blend on bottom of your baby's feet.
- Baby Tummy Tamer: Gently rub DigestZen Digestive Blend diluted with a carrier oil on your baby's tummy or try a drop of Wild Orange and/or Lavender with a carrier oil.
There are many, many, more recommendations from experienced moms, midwives, and nurses. I love this book: Essential Oils for Pregnancy, Birth, & Babies by Stephanie Fritz LM, CPM. And take a few minutes to watch doTERRA's "Pregnancy & Essential Oils" presentation.
Have you found essential oils useful during pregnancy and with your newborn? Share your experiences in a comment.