THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, READ OUR POLICY PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
Petitgrain Essential Oil comes from the bitter orange tree. It is steam distilled from the tree's twigs and leaves and has a refreshing floral and herby aroma. Interestingly, Neroli Essential Oil is derived from the blossoms of the same tree.
Petitgrain has been used for health and wellness in its native area in southern China for centuries and has been used as a common ingredient in perfume since the middle of the 18th century. It is particularly know for supporting relaxation and restful sleep though it has many internal benefits as well.*
- Place a few drops of Petitgrain on a cotton ball and tuck it inside your pillow case. Combine with other relaxing oils like Lavender or Bergamot to enhance the effect.
- Taking Petitgrain internally can help benefit the cardiovascular, nervous, digestive, and immune systems.* Add 1-2 drops of the Petitgrain to water or other beverages to take advantage of the internal benefits and its refreshing taste.
- For a relaxing foot massage, dilute a few drops of Petitgrain with fractionated coconut oil before rubbing the combination on the bottoms of the feet. Petitgrain should always be diluted with a carrier oil when applied topically.
- Take Petitgrain internally to ease tense feelings, calm the nervous system, or promote a restful night’s sleep.*
- If you enjoy drinking herbal tea or other hot drinks, try adding a few drops of Petitgrain to enhance the flavor. You’ll also benefit from the calming properties it provides.*
- To help reduce the appearance of skin imperfections, add a couple drops of Petitgrain to fractionated coconut oil and apply it to skin blemishes or imperfections.*
- Diffuse Petitgrain to create a relaxing, calming environment. Combine with other calming oils like Bergamot, Lavender, or Eucalyptus to further promote relaxation.
- Petitgrain may also provide antioxidant support when taken internally.* Take 1-2 drops in a veggie capsule for a dietary supplement.*
- Petitgrain has cleansing properties and can be used as a surface cleaner in kitchens, bathrooms, and elsewhere around your home. Add 3-5 drops to a 4oz glass spray bottle then fill with water for a natural, safe cleaning solution.
Petitgrain Essential Oil is part of doTERRA's Co-Impact Sourcing initiative. The bitter orange tree was brought to Paraquay from southern China by Spanish Jesuits in the early 18th century. It took to its new habitat and now thrives there. doTERRA partners with farmers that are growing healthy crops of bitter orange trees in order to extract the highest quality Petitgrain Essential Oil. By providing a market, training, and technical assistance, doTERRA is acting as a catalyst to spur sustainable economic growth in an historically impoverished area.
Diffuser Blend Suggestions