THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, READ OUR POLICY PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
Depending on the child, teaching healthy habits my come easily or may be a bit of a challenge. Sometimes moms and dads need to be stealthy about trying to help our kids make better choices. Think of it as being a parenting ninja. If you do it right, they won't even notice you are there teaching them how to take care of their minds and bodies. Here are a few of our favorite parenting hacks for teaching healthy habits.
Healthy Kid Parenting Hacks
- Park far away to get in extra steps. Don't always look for the closest spot when parking. Walking from the far end of the parking lot is a simple way to get in extra exercise everyday and your kids probably won't even notice.
- Walk to school (and everywhere else) whenever possible. Is school too far away for your child to walk? Can they bike or scooter instead? What about parking a few blocks away and letting them out to walk. They get some exercise and you don't have to deal with those crazy drop off/pick up lines! It's a win-win! Tip: Keep a bottle of cooling DIY Peppermint Spray to cool down on hot day. Just add a couple drops of Peppermint Essential Oil to a spray bottle and fill the bottle with water.
- Put out a veggie tray with a yummy, healthy dip before meals to get kids (and parents) to eat more veggies. This is one of my favorite and it is so effective. I try to keep a veggie tray in my fridge at all times. It is so easy to pull it out for a snack or to supplement a meal and is a great way to make sure healthy options find their way into lunch boxes. Tip: When you are too busy to put together a tray, you can pick up pre-chopped veggies in the produce and deli departments of most grocery stores.
- Make a "healthy snack box" for your kids and let them choose their own healthy snacks. They have full ownership over what's in there. No more "Mom, I'm hungry!" Check out these past blog posts for healthy snack ideas, Healthy & Kid Friendly After-School Snacks and Healthy Road Trip Snacks. Tip: You may want to have two boxes - one in the fridge and one in the pantry.
- Make family dinner a priority. Regular family dinners have a positive impact on healthy eating habits but they can also build relationships and communication skills. We ask our kids to share one good thing about their day and one bad thing. This gives them a chance to practice focusing on the positive as well as identifying the negative and learning how to cope and problem solve. And some days they can't even come up with a negative which is great too!
- Use Purify Cleansing Blend to naturally cleanse air and surfaces. Diffuse to purify and freshen the air. Add 5 drops to a small spray bottle with water and use to wipe down countertops and other surfaces.
- Send homemade OnGuard Protective Blend hand wipes to school in your child's lunchbox. They can use them to clean their hands before eating. This will help keep germs at bay and can be a fun project to do with you child. Just use cotton rounds soaked in water, aloe, and few drops of OnGuard Protective Blend. Place in a air tight container in their lunch.
- Set a timer when they are brushing their teeth to make sure they are brushing long enough. Make it a game and tell them they are racing against the clock.There are even apps for this! Try OnGuard Natural Whitening Toothpaste.
- Create a custom cologne or perfume blend for your child. You know better than anyone what your child's emotional needs are. It's a fun project to let them help create the blend based on what scents are enjoyable and effective for them.
- Keep the doTerra Touch Roller Bottle Kit or the Emotional Aromatherapy Touch Kit of pre-diluted oils in a communal location. An easy to access space like a kitchen counter or drawer is perfect. Tip: Give kids a swipe of OnGuard Protective Blend Touch before and after school followed by a swipe of an emotion oil of their choosing.
What are some of your best healthy parenting hacks?