DIY Kitchen Style: Black Bean Burgers
We are mixing it up today! Most Wednesdays we post a DIY Essential Oil Product. However, since our theme for May is "Summer Recipes", we will be squeezing in an extra recipe or two throughout the month. But not to worry if you love our DIY products. We have a brand new DIY massage oil to post on Saturday. It is a blend of basil and other herbs that will help you (or a loved one) relax your tense muscles.
For today, we are getting you all set for grilling season. It is always nice to have a meatless option available when you are grilling burgers. Even if you aren't vegetarian or vegan yourself, you may have a guest that is or you may just want to switch things up a bit once in a while.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cans or 3 cups cooked black beans (drained and divided)
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup yellow onion
- 2 drops doTERRA Cilantro Essential Oil
- 2 drops doTERRA Basil Essential Oil
- 1 egg (Vegan option: use two tablespoons corn starch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water.)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse and drain beans.
- Put 1/2 of rinsed beans (1.5 cups), yellow onion, garlic, red bell pepper, Essential Oils, egg or cornstarch mixture, bread crumbs, and salt and pepper into food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- Combine with remaining black beans and stir. If mixture is too sticky, add more bread crumbs until it holds together.
- Divide into 4 patties.
- Heat skillet/grill on medium heat. Add olive oil.
- Heat burgers 6 minutes on each side. Be careful when flipping burgers as they are very delicate.
- Once burger is cooked, place patty on bottom bun, top with lettuce, tomatoes, and desired condiments.
SERVINGS: 4, PREP TIME: 10 MIN, COOK TIME: 20 MIN, DIFFICULTY: EASY
Recipe by doTERRA. Click here for a printable version.