THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, READ OUR POLICY PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
It's not always possible to pack just a carry-on when traveling, but it is probably an option more often than you think. And the benefits of not checking bags - avoiding costly fees, eliminating risk of lost luggage, skipping baggage claim - are totally worth a little extra planning. We've done some research and found these great tips for traveling light.
- You can take your favorite essential oils and DIY products in your carry-on bag if you follow these TSA guidelines:
- You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes in your carry-on bag and through the checkpoint.
- These items are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item.
- Place these items in the quart-sized bag and remove it from your carry-on baggage by the time you reach the screening area.
- Use small bags like our I Heart Oils Custom Pouches to organize your carry-on bag. They are great for snacks, make up, and miscellaneous items (bandages, pens, gum, beadlets, cough drops, etc.).
- When you are choosing clothes for your trip, select interchangeable pieces. For example, a pair of pants, a skirt, and two tops can provide up to six outfits if they all work together. Add a cardigan and you have even more options. Use accessories like scarves and jewelry to make each outfit unique.
- Dresses are a great option - you get an entire outfit with just one piece of clothing.
- Roll your clothes instead of folding them. It saves space and reduces wrinkles.
- For even more efficient packing, use compressible vacuum packing bags and packing cubes.
- Don't be afraid to do a little laundry while traveling. You can use your hotel's laundry services or to keep expenses down, pack a small bag or container of laundry detergent with you. Wash a few items in your bathroom sink and hang dry before turning in for the night.
- Wear your bulkiest pair of shoes and pack a smaller pair in your bag. Roll and pack socks or tights inside the packed shoes.
- Don't pack items that are available for free in your hotel room - shampoo, conditioner, lotion. To promote healthy skin and hair, add a couple of drop of Chamomile Essential Oil to these items.
- No need to add bulky books and magazines to your bag. Load your phone or tablet with books and other types of entertainment. You can even download Netflix content now.
- Put a few drops of your favorite essential oil on a used dryer sheet, cotton balls, or make up remover cotton pads, then place them inside your carry-on bag with your clothes to keep them smelling fresh.
- Carefully plan what you are going to take and then stick with the plan. It can be tempting to throw items in "just in case". But often, those items end up not getting used. Think about previous trips and what you actually used.
What are some of your tips for packing light?