POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, READ OUR POLICY PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
Giving your baby a massage can be an incredibly bonding and comforting experience. Add in reflexology techniques and you have the opportunity to target specific areas that might be causing your little one discomfort.
Reflexology is the theory that pressure applied to certain areas of the feet can affect organs and bodily systems. While these massage techniques should not replace a pediatrician's advice and treatment, they can be part of your family's proactive self-care plan.
Use the following tips and chart to guide you through the massage.
- Obviously, your baby can't tell you what is causing them discomfort. Using your intuition and experience, make your best guess as to which area to target.
- Some good times to give a massage are when your baby is sleeping, nursing, rocking, or during bath time.
- Remember to be extra gentle when applying pressure to your baby's sensitive skin and delicate feet.
- The basic massage techniques are holding gentle pressure in a single location for a few seconds using your thumb while cradling the foot in the rest of your hand and making circular movements in the target area.
- The entire massage should last from 5 to 10 minutes.
Essential Oil Recommendations
Essential oils can enhance the massage experience even more. Below are recommend oils for each zone of your baby's foot.* With the exception of Oregano which should not be used with babies and young children, oils in the doTERRA Touch Kit are an excellent option because they are pre-diluted with fractionated coconut oil. If you are using single oils or blends, you should dilute them yourself before applying to your baby's feet.
- Lungs - Melaleuca, Lemon, Lavender, Frankincense. For older babies you can try Breathe Respiratory Blend, or Peppermint
Have your tried baby foot massage with you little ones?
*THESE STATEMENTS HAVE NOT BEEN EVALUATED BY THE FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION. THESE PRODUCTS ARE NOT INTENDED TO DIAGNOSE, TREAT, CURE, OR PREVENT ANY DISEASE.