THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, READ OUR POLICY PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
Got cravings? This is a season that trips a lot of people up. There are sugary treats everywhere! Even if candy isn't your thing, retailers aren't even waiting for Halloween to pass by before Christmas and Holiday marketing is in full swing. I dare you to walk through any store without thinking about some of your favorite holiday treats. Actually, I don't dare you. Avoiding the temptations is one of the ways to keep from giving in to them. Empower yourself to stick to your wellness plan with these simple tips.
- Hold off on buying Halloween candy for trick-or-treaters. I like to make necessary purchases for the month at the beginning of the month. But, with Halloween being on the 31st, Halloween candy is a purchase that is best procrastinated. Out of sight, out of mind. And if you don't have it in the house, you can't eat it all before handing it out on Halloween night.
- Buy online. Like I mentioned above, stay out of stores when you can. I make as many purchases as I can online. Shipping is often free and fast. I have even started making my "big" monthly grocery shopping trip via the internet. For a flat $5 fee, I can avoid walking by the bakery, as well as the candy, chip, and ice cream aisles. No giving in to cravings that lead to impulse purchases that can add extra money as well as regret.
- Give out healthy alternatives. Healthy doesn't have to mean boring, or "lame" as my kids might say. Check out some fun options in Healthier Halloween Tricks & Treats.
- Stay hydrated. It is so easy to confuse hunger with thirst. If you are feeling a craving, drink at least 8oz of water before giving in. You may find out that you were a bit dehydrated and the craving just disappears completely. If not, it may at least become manageable. Add a few drops of essential oil to your water for taste, satisfaction, and additional benefits. My favorites are Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, and On Guard Protective Blend. Find more options in Essential Oil Enhanced Water.
- Keep healthy treats and snacks on hand. Have yummy fresh fruit & veggies ready to eat. Keep a small veggie or fruit tray in your refrigerator. You can quickly assemble your own or purchase one at the grocery store. There are so many options. Whether you are craving something sweet or salty, crunchy or creamy, we've got you covered.
- Feed your feelings with healthy alternatives to sugar. Sometimes cravings are brought on by emotional hunger instead of physical hunger. If this is happening, try some alternatives before reaching for a treat or snack. Find an activity that brings you joy, satisfaction, or peace. Meditation, journaling, exercise, an art or craft project, accomplishing something on your to-do list, emotional aromatherapy, etc. I love these Ideas for Getting Through the Doldrums. They can definitely help with getting through cravings too.
- Chew healthy gum. This is such a simple trick. When you are feeling overwhelming cravings and you think you are going to give in, pop a piece of natural gum in your mouth. Or, use it head off the cravings before they start. doTERRA Slim & Sassy Metabolic Gum is a great option.
- Use essential oils to help your body curb cravings. Cinnamon Bark, Grapefruit, Coriander, and Slim & Sassy Metabolic Blend can all help curb cravings.* Fennel, Peppermint, and Ginger can also help manage hunger.* Add 1-2 drops per 4oz of water. Or, add the same amount to a veggie capsule and swallow. Find more ideas for using essentials oils to curb cravings in Healthy Metabolism & Weight Management.
Click the button below to find the essential oils you need to avoid that Halloween sugar hangover.