THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, READ OUR POLICY PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
Daily rituals can bring a sense of peace and stability to our lives. They can also be a way to practice self-care. Imagine a daily ritual with the therapeutic benefits of both massage and essential oils. A simple practice of daily self massage with warm, aromatic oil based on the Ayurvedic practice of Abhyanga is exactly that. It is a wonderful way to start or end your day!
- 1/4 cup carrier oil of your choice (fractionated coconut oil, sesame oil, sweet almond oil, etc.)
- Essential oils of your choice. If you have determined your prominent dosha, you may want to choose oils that will keep your dosha in balance. (See Dosha Balancing with Essential Oils for suggestions.) The following essential oils are generally excellent choices for self massage: Lavender, Geranium, Ylang Ylang, Patchouli, Frankincense, Cedarwood, and Clary Sage. Or, choose a blend that targets a specific emotional need - Balance Grounding Blend, Passion Inspiring Blend, Serenity Restful Blend, etc.
- Container for oils - glass bowl, ceramic mug, etc.
- Gently warm the carrier oil. Test temperature by placing a drop on the inside of your wrist. It should be warm, but not hot.
- Add a few drops of your essential oil of choice and mix by swirling the container or gently stirring.
- Start by massaging the crown of your head. Make sure to cover your entire scalp.
- Move on to your face and massage your forehead, temples, ears, cheeks, and chin using upward, rounded strokes.
- Massage your arms and legs with long strokes. Use circular strokes on elbows and knees.
- Use clockwise, circular strokes to massage your abdomen and chest.
- Finish by spending a couple of minutes massaging your feet. Take time on this area with so many nerve endings and vital points.
- Spend 5-10 minutes letting the oil absorb into your body. This is an excellent opportunity to meditate.
- Take a warm bath or shower and use a mild soap to gently wash your body.
- Dry off by gently blotting yourself with a towel.
Your body and soul should feel nourished after this act of self-care. You can now move on with your day feeling ready for what is to come or retire for the night feeling a sense of relaxed peace. Try to make this a daily ritual by dedicating a short 15 minutes to an aromatic self massage. It is so worth it!
By the way, don't have time for the official method? A shorter version can still be done daily as part of your morning routine with great benefits. Place your chosen carrier oil and essential oils in a bowl and apply after your bath or shower, (skipping your head and fresh washed hair). This can help you start your day off with a great aromatic experience, benefit your skin, and more.
What are your self-care rituals?