Green Smoothies with Essential Oils
We are BIG fans of the green smoothie here at my house. You? It's such a great way to get quick nutrition. Even my kids love them. We've experimented with lots of different recipes and some have been successful and some have not. It's fun to try new greens you might not think you'd like with fruit and see what deliciousness you can come up with.
Five reasons green smoothies are great:
1. They are quick to prepare, quick to clean up, and quick to drink! Perfect for busy families on the go who want to be healthy.
2. They are easy to digest. When blended, most of the cells in the plants are ruptured, making the nutrients easily available for your body to use.
3. Green smoothies retain all the fiber of the plants, making it a great way to get necessary fiber into your diet.
4. Drinking green smoothies is a great way to help you curb a sweet tooth and replace the cravings with something healthy.
5. Green smoothies can be an easy way to try out new greens and be more open to eating greens at other times as well. They are a great easy intro into a healthy lifestyle.
Use organic fruits and vegetables as often as you can.
Give all your produce a soak in water with Lemon essential oil to help remove residual dirt and toxins.
Fresh is best, but you can pre-chop fruits and veggies and freeze them for even quicker smoothies on the go. Frozen food retains the plant enzymes.
If you make a large batch and don't consume it right away, put it in a jar with a tight fitting lid and it'll store for a day or so. Just shake before drinking.
How to make a Green Smoothie:
I thought I'd share how we make smoothies at our house. It's super easy. Just make sure your liquid is nearest to your blade in whatever blender you have. If you have a NutriBullet, you'll fill up the cup in reverse and add the liquid to the top. Normal blenders add the liquid first.
1. We put about 2 cups of a liquid. Whatever you want will work. We don't consume dairy so we mostly use almond milk but often use just water too.
2. After that, pile in your washed greens. This can be a combination of leafy greens and other green plants- celery, cucumber, parsley, etc. All yummy. Spinach is a really mild green and a great way to start. We use about 2 cups of packed greens.
3. Once those are in, add a combination of whatever fruit you like. Low sugar fruits like berries are a great choice but you can add whatever you'd like. Avocados and bananas make for a creamier texture. We put about 2 cups of mixed fruit into our smoothies. That's about one banana and one apple if you want to make it super simple.
4. Then you can add some fun mix-ins if you'd like or go straight to blending. Whatever you'd like. We like to add a drop or two of an essential oil into our smoothies. Lemon, Wild Orange, Grapefruit are all favorites. You can really get creative- peppermint is yummy, ginger, cinnamon, etc.
Be Cautious with the HOT OILS like cinnamon and the strong oils like ginger and peppermint. Use a toothpick to soak up one drop of the essential oil and then swirl the flavor into your smoothie. You'll thank me. We've ruined some batches with too much peppermint.
You can also add in some oats, flax seeds, chia seeds, protein powder, cacao powder, etc.
5. Add a handful of ice to the top, blend till smooth and your done!
Based on that formula, you could use:
Almond Milk, Spinach, Apple, Banana, Lemon Essential Oil and Ice.
Water, Spinach, Banana, Cacao Powder, Almond butter, Wild Orange Oil and Ice.
Rice Milk, Mixed Greens, Banana, Cherries, Lime Essential Oil and Ice.
Water, Baby Chard, Thai Coconut, Pineapple, Mango, Lime Oil and Ice.
A fun recipe book that we use to get inspired is Essential Green Smoothies by Madeline Eyer. Lots of GREAT ideas for unique combinations they all include essential oils in the recipes.
Have fun! I'd love to hear about your favorite green smoothie. Have any combinations that you love? Are you new to green smoothies or an old pro? Any green smoothie disaster stories- like the time we didn't put the lid to our blender on all the way and the kitchen cabinets got to enjoy that batch instead of us? Haha!