THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, READ OUR POLICY PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
Make up brushes. Many of us use them almost everyday, but how often do we actually clean them? If you are like me, the answer might be "not often enough". It's good to get into the habit of doing it regularly though. While some recommend that make up brushes be cleaned weekly, make up expert, Bobbi Brown, says, "Brushes that are used around the eyes should be cleaned at least twice a month. All others can be washed once a month." I'd say that is a little more doable than weekly. But don't feel like a slacker if you aren't keeping up with that schedule. Just do it as often as you can and you will reap the rewards.
Benefits of Regular Make Up Brush Cleaning
- Prevents build up of make up, oil, and bacteria that can contribute to breakouts and blemishes.
- Extends the lifespan of the brush.
- Cleaner brushes lead to better make up application.
Essential Oil Make Up Brush Cleaner
Whip up a batch of this simple DIY when its time to clean your bushes. Or, make an extra large batch and keep it on hand to make regular cleanings even easier.
- 2 tablespoons Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 5 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 2 tablespoons Castile Soap
- 5 drops Melaleuca Essential Oil
- 5 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- Add fractionated coconut oil and Lemon to a small bowl.
- Swirl your bushes in the mixture for 30 to 60 seconds to loosen makeup and other debris.
- Mix Castile Soap, Melaleuca, and Lavender together in a small bowl.
- Dip your bushes into the mixture and gently rub the bristles in the palm of your hand to clean.
- While bristles are pointed down, rinse under warm water and gently squeeze the bristles until clean and water runs clear.
- Squeeze gently with a towel to remove excess water then set on towel to air dry.