THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, READ OUR POLICY PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
Sometimes I look at a large project and find myself unable to get started because it just seems too big and overwhelming. Fortunately, I have found that if I stop looking at the entire project and stop worrying about getting from point A to point Z, it helps a lot. I just break it down into smaller projects. But guess what - even those smaller steps can still trip me up at times. So, if I'm really having a hard time getting started, I forget about even getting from point A to point B. Instead, I work on it for a set amount of time and I don't worry about how far I get. Even just 5 minutes spent dedicated to a project or task will make a dent in it.
This is a excellent way to tackle organization projects. There are actually a ton of things you can completely organize in 5 minutes - a drawer, a shelf, a purse, etc. For bigger things like a closet, it may take a few sessions, but you will be amazed at what you can get done in 5 minutes.
Since we are starting a new week, I challenge you to set a timer at least once a day for 5 minutes and organize. If you want, commit to doing this 2 or 3 times each day. At the end of the week look back and see what difference this exercise has made. Do you feel more at peace? Have you spent less time looking for things? Has your stress level gone down? Do you enjoy your home or work space more? I bet the answer to some or all of these questions is "Yes!".
5 Minute Organization Ideas
- Write down your organizational goals
- Clean out a drawer
- Clean a shelf
- Clean a cabinet
- Clear a counter
- Wipe down a shelf or drawer in the refrigerator
- Designate a spot for incoming mail
- Designate a spot for incoming school/extracurricular papers
- Delete old emails
- Organize your essential oils
- Walk through the house and put away things that are out of place
- Remove clothes from the closet that haven't been worn in a year or more
- Set up a basket for items to be donated
- Make a to-do list
- Do a bit of filing
- Purge old shows from your DVR
- Dispose of expired medications
- Dispose of expired pantry items
- Shred old, unneeded documents
- Organize cords and adapters for your electronic devices
- Dispose of garbage and clutter in your vehicle
- Delete unused apps from your devices
- Organize coupons and dispose of the expired ones
For even more ideas, check out our list of "Things To Declutter Now". Spend 5 minutes working on any of the spaces listed there. And to get into the mood, apply a few drops of Motivate Encouraging Blend to your pulse points. It will help you find the resolve to tackle your organizational challenges.
Tell us how the challenge goes for you in a comment. Good luck!