Prevention is our first priority this season. It’s a lot easier to maintain health than to treat illness. We can take some extra steps during the fall and winter to help our bodies function properly and be able to fight off bacteria and viruses more effectively.
1. Frequent Hand Washing– Use a good hand soap and scrub up. I like doTERRA’s On Guard foaming hand wash. However, when you are out and about you don’t always have access to a sink and suds. That’s when I pull out my little spray bottle with lemon oil and water. Spray down shopping cart handles, your hands, restaurant tables, etc. Great way to cleanse on the go. Also, takes care of any sticky kid messes great! It smells divine too. I LOVE lemon oil for helping to keep hands clean in-between washes with soap.
2. Proper Nutrition– Good nutrition is super important to maintain health this season. Eat your green veggies and drink plenty of water. I like to add a drop or two of essential oil in my water, yum! Daily use of the Lifelong Vitality pack (awesome daily supplements) can help fill in the gaps for you.
3. “The BOMB”. I’m sure you’ve heard of this combination by now. Even if so, it’s worth repeating the recipe:
4 drops Lemon
2 drops Oregano
2 drops Melaleuca
2 drops Protection Blend
Place in an empty gel capsule and swallow. Remember, small amounts of essential oils applied frequently is the best way to use them.
For kids or those who can’t or don’t want to swallow homemade capsules, you can add the drops to a roller bottle and fill it the rest of the way up with Fractionated Coconut oil. Apply to the bottoms of the feet.
4. Homemade Throat drops and Syrup. There are lots of tried and true home methods for soothing throat. Honey + lemon comes to mind. There are some great oils that can support healthy respiratory function as well. Eucalyptus oil is a great one. Sometimes a little bit rubbed on the feet or chest is enough to see some benefits.
Just a note that doTERRA sells throat drops which are awesome to have around or keep in your bag for emergencies. They are a great line of defense to help boost the immune system.
If you want something a little more DIY, try these recipes:
Natural Honey Throat Syrup
4 drops Lemon
2 drops Clove
2 drops Clary Sage
2 drops Thyme
2 drops Ginger
1 drop Chamomile
1 drop Fennel
4 tbs Raw Honey
2 cups Distilled Warm Water
Dissolve the honey in the warm water. Don’t overheat. When combined and cool, add the essential oils. Pour into a amber glass container and store in the fridge. Shake before use. Take a spoonful or so when you need relief. Repeat often.
Honey Throat Drops
1 1/3 Cup Raw Honey
1 1/2 Cup Water
20 drops Protective Blend
Mound stevia in a pie plate. Create rounded indentions in the stevia with the back of a small spoon. Set aside. Bring honey and water to a boil. Continue boiling until hard crack stage. Take pan off of the heat and stir. Add Protection blend Essential Oil. Spoon drops of the mixture into the stevia molds. Let cool to touch. Roll drops around in the stevia till coated. Wrap in parchment paper.
5. Peppermint, Lavender, & Lime are great cooling, relaxing, and soothing oils. Apply them down the spine, on the feet, to the temples, and the back of the neck. Remember, small amounts, applied often works best.
A tension blend containing oils such as peppermint, lavender, frankincense, chamomile, etc. is a great oil blend to have on hand for soothing localized tension. Experiment and see what works for you. When you are extra tense, you can also try to use a Soothing blend, or Wintergreen. Apply topically but don’t forget to use them aromatically too.
6. Boost Immunity with On Guard products– Products made from this blend include the oil blend itself, toothpaste, cleaning concentrate, hand wash, and throat drops. Use On Guard throughout the day to keep up your immunity. Just line everyone up and apply it to the feet every day. Or make everyone in your family their own On Guard roller bottle filled with a few drops of the blend and filled the rest of the way with fractionated coconut oil. Read about a study done with this blend HERE.
Having the oils in rollers and spray bottles makes them a lot easier to use. Pre-portioning your days vitamins and supplements make them a lot more easy to take. Invest a little in some application materials that will help you use oils often and successfully. Do you have a diffuser? Do you have a Modern Essentials book? Get these supplies ready for a successful experience.